General Paper Guidelines
FULL pages: meet the minimum length requirement.
One inch margins. Seriously, ONE INCH.
No gaps between paragraphs. Reset default settings if you have to.
If you use headings (which I do not recommend) then do not bold them.
12 point times new roman font
No cover page.
MLA FORMAT for WORKS CITED page and in-text citations. LOOK IT UP! (page numbers, etc.)
Any images to be located in an appendix at the end of the paper. The pages used to do so will not count toward the length minimum.
Papers that do not meet the above guidelines will not be accepted.
Paper Rubric (how I grade a paper)
I. Does the essay meet the assignment?
1. citational MLA format (in-text citations, works cited page)
2. general MLA format (1 ” margins, title, pages numbered, NO JUMBO FONT)
3. addresses the prompt
II. Does the essay represent “college level writing”?
1. minimum of errors of syntax, grammar, spelling, diction
2. familiarity with texts and ideas under discussion
3. a clear thesis or critical stance
4. evidence drawn from valid/ scholarly sources mobilized in support of arguments
III. Is the essay characterized by the three I’s (intelligent, informed, imaginative?)
IV. Marginal notes:
wc = word choice (diction)
v.t. = verb tense
c.s. = comma splice
syntax = sentence structure is garbled
a check mark = interesting, good point
double check mark = wow, that’s really cool/ insightful
~ = “meh”